In celebration of the conclusion of the Bantu Syntax and Information Structure project, there will be a 2-day conference organised in Leiden on 8 and 9 June 2023 in hybrid (physical + online) format.
In addition to the BaSIS project members presenting the results of their research, we warmly invite other presentations related to information structure in Bantu (call for papers pdf). Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- How is information structure expressed in Bantu languages?
- Where is information structure in the grammar?
- Formal analyses of Bantu syntax/information structure
- Field methods for the investigation of syntax and information structure
- The interaction between information structure and prosody
- Comparative aspects of information structure between Bantu and other languages
- The status (and revision?) of notions in information structure
Invited speaker: Michael Diercks, Pomona College
Please submit your 1-page abstracts by 23rd December by emailing them to BaSISconference@hum.leidenuniv.nl. Decisions will be sent out by 16th January.
There is no fee for participation – the conference (and project) are funded by the NWO Vidi grant.
For further questions, please contact Jenneke van der Wal at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you in Leiden/online!